Happy New Year's! My poor, neglected blog... what's a working mom to do? I really do want to try to blog more frequently this year. A good goal would be 3-4 times/month, I think.
Goals... that brings me to the purpose of tonight's blog, which is New Year's resolutions. I have always loved writing resolutions. I have done them for as long as I can remember. I even have my diary from age 9 with my New Year's resolutions in it! I typically write several, so that I can: a) hit all facets of my life, and b) at least achieve a few of them!
I typically like to revisit my previous year's resolutions on New Year's Day. Sadly, our computer died this past summer and along with it, my resolutions (which were saved on the hard drive). I remember my only two running resolutions, though: run my first half-marathon, and run at least 600 miles for the year. Check, and check! I am super proud of how I did this year during my first full year as a runner. 2 5K's, 1 4-miler, 1 quarter-marathon, and 3 half-marathons. Not too shabby! Oh, and 714.42 miles for 2013.
So, here we go with my resolutions for 2014.. Let's start with running, since that's the point of this blog.
1. I want to hit 1000 miles for the year. I totally think this is doable, as I ran 101 miles for the month of December, and 1000 is averaging around 83 miles/month. I have some long runs planned in the next few months, so I know I can make it to 1000.
2. I want to PR at every race distance, from 5K to half marathon. So that's a 5K, a 4-miler, a 10K (or quarter marathon, basically the same thing), and a half.
3. I want to run in my first full marathon. I still cannot believe I am typing that. Actually, to make it even more believable, last night I signed up for it! April 27, I will be running 26.2 miles in Toledo at the Glass City Marathon (advertised as "fast and flat"). This is why I will be doing those longer runs in the coming months... gotta get ready to run far!
I'll share just a few of my non-running resolutions as well, just to stay accountable. I have a lot of them... here are just a few:
1. Monthly date nights with my hubby. He is far too neglected, and I need to work on that.
2. Pay off our van by December 2014. This will mean a strict budget this year, but we've done it before (we became debt-free with the exception of our home in November 2012, paying off over $30,000 in debt in under two years!).
3. Figure out a system to organize my counter-tops. My friend Jamie calls people like us "dumpers"... things naturally get "dumped" on flat surfaces. I confess to being a perpetual dumper. I want to determine a way to get things in their places. School papers for the kids, coupons, miscellaneous stuff... ideas are welcome :)
This is not my personal counter top... but it isn't far from reality!
Bring it on, 2014!