Saturday, June 2, 2018

A season of triathlons awaits!

In some ways, the school year dragged on... and in others, it feels like it sped by.  It's already June, and yesterday was my last day of work until August 20th!  (Not really... I am going to be doing some planning this summer with my new teammates at Northgate Intermediate, and of course I will be in my classroom in early August to get things all set up... but officially I am finished!)

The start of summer vacation for me means the start of true triathlon training.  It is so difficult for me to truly train the way I want to during the school year. I have to be happy with 1 swim, 1-2 bike rides (usually on the trainer or at spin class), and my usual 4 runs.  In the summer, however, I am able to actually do legit bricks (swim-bike or bike-run workouts), and fit in more swim and rides.  I also have more time to recover during the day after my workouts, since I don't have to go to work.  All in all, it's an ideal situation.  

When I re-read my blog, I am reminded that I am still relatively new to the whole world of triathlon.  By my count, I have done:
1 super-sprint (Tri for Hope 2015)
2 sprints (Mingoman 2016 & Central Ohio 2017)
2 half Ironmans (2016 & 2017)
And several relays (which honestly don't count for anything in my opinion... they're just fun!)

As I mentioned in my previous blog entry, this year I have 4 triathlons on my schedule: Central Ohio Sprint (6/10), Mingoman Olympic (6/24), HFP Olympic @ Caesar Creek (7/8), and hopefully USAT Olympic Nationals (8/12).   I am hoping to qualify for Nationals at one of the other three triathlons this summer, by finishing in the top 3 overall, or by winning my age group.  I qualified last year, but Nationals were in Omaha.  This year, they're in Cleveland, which is only a couple of hours from me!  Seeing as I have never even done an Olympic-distance triathlon, I have zero expectations if I do qualify... I just think it'd be fun to go for the experience!  

My first triathlon this season is one that I did last year, the Central Ohio Sprint.  My time last year was a 1:31:28 (swim 17:54 including the run up to transition, T1 1:24, T2 :58, bike 43:57, run 27:13).   I would love to go sub-1:30 this year.  The bike course is a loop this year, instead of an out-and-back, however there is a big hill at the end of the course... so that makes things a bit different.  I feel like I am stronger as far as my running goes, so if I take off time anywhere, it will likely be there.  

In addition to these races, I am also doing the Ross Fit relay for the third year in a row (swim leg again--I do love swimming at Antrim!), as well as the Ohio 70.3 relay (swim leg).  I still wonder if I am making the best decision in skipping doing the 70.3 myself for the third year in a row.  I am so proud each time that I finish this race... but I honestly have zero interest in competing in it again.  It isn't the training... it's the race.  And it's not the swim or the bike.  Doing a half-marathon in the awful afternoon sun that is bound to happen in Ohio in July does not sound like my idea of fun.  Hence, my idea to do the relay.  

And, of course, there is that tiny little thing called an early-fall marathon that I have decided to partake in this year.  I've pretty much settled on the Erie Marathon (9/7), based on the course and the proximity.  I'm excited to report that speed work has already begun... nothing crazy, just a few miles at tempo pace for the past couple of weeks.  But when you haven't done any real speed work in months... yes, this is  cause for a celebration!   I am still worried about how I am going to mesh triathlon training with marathon training... and not JUST marathon training, but training for a BQ time.  My coach feels confident we can do it, though, so I am just going to hang on for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment