Wednesday, December 26, 2018

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind."




The quote above was one of the first New Year's Resolution quotes that I found on Google, and it spoke to me instantly.  I am a lover of goals, and started making New Year's Resolutions as a young child.  As a runner, I enjoy making running goals that coincide with the start of the new year. 

Let's take a look at last year's goals...

1) PR in the marathon--Nope.  I did run my 2nd-fastest marathon ever in April, but injury kept me from an attempt at a PR in September.  

2)  Qualify for Age Group Nationals for the triathlon
--Yay, this happened!  I didn't actually compete there, but I was really proud to qualify.  

3) Keep up with Body Pump and spinning classes at least once a week (for both)--I think that overall, I did a good job with this.  When I was injured, I obviously wasn't able to go to classes.  But otherwise, strength definitely remained a key part of my workout schedule in 2018.  Spinning, not as much...

4) Incorporate my PT exercises back into my life--Ugh, I need to do better with this.  I always say that!  I am currently doing them about 4 times a week, but that's because I am still rehabbing from an injury.  They need to be there even when I'm not injured, but I find that they're usually the first thing to go.


I will give myself a C for my goals 2018.  I'm pleased, but not obviously there is some work to do.  I was looking over my goals from years' past, and many of them center around running marathons.  I love marathons, I truly do.  But I'm just not so sure my body is willing to let me run them, at least not at the pace that I desire to run.  

1) Start trail running.  My friends (several of whom are ultra runners or trail runners) will be ecstatic to read this one.  Don't get too excited, ladies!  I am going to wait until the weather's a bit better... not a fan of icy cold trails.  And I'm not promising any races.  I'm just thinking that I'd like to give running in the woods a shot.  

2) Run a race (or do a triathlon) with Team Heart and Sole.  Another thing that several of my friends have done!  I really want to do a triathlon with them, but I will settle for a race if that doesn't work out.

3) Do a 5K open water swimming race.  There are several of these later in the summer in neighboring states, and I know I can convince my friend Amy S. to join me on a road trip!  We had a blast last month traveling to a Master's swim meet in Dayton.  Swimming is definitely where my talent lies, and I am starting to think I should embrace it more.

4) Do an Aquabike race.  I loathe running in a triathlon, so I figure, why not cut out that part and just do the swim/run portions?!  I've been wanting to try Aquabike for awhile, so this will be the summer I actually compete in one.  

When I look over these goals, they excite me, but not in the same way that trying to run a marathon PR excites me.  It's a goal that will never leave my heart, but for now, it's going to sit on the back burner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment