Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Training recap: 1/25-1/31

(sorry for the lack of pictures--didn't have time to upload any this week!)

Week 8:

Monday--AM: Planned on meeting Jess at her house for 5@5, but her kids got in the way of that, so when I saw the message at 4:15 AM, I decided to meet my friends at PowerTrain instead.  I haven't been to boot camp in about 4 weeks, and it was great to be back!  The workout didn't seem too hard, but my glutes and core were definitely sore for the next few days!  

PM: Hit the treadmill at the gym.  Decided to keep the option of 6 miles (what was on my original plan) open, based on how I felt.  And I felt great.  I didn't tape my calf for the first time on a run in awhile, and I felt much more relaxed while I ran.  I did 4 miles at a 9:13 pace, then did two faster (8:57 and 8:41), then back to 9:13 for the final mile.  Overall pace: 9:09.

Tuesday: woke up at 4:40 and hopped on the bike for a short fast ride.  5 minute warm-up, followed by an intense reverse ladder set (4 minutes at 85% effort, 3 minutes at 90%, 2 minutes at 95%, 1 minute at 100%, and then back up again), with a 5 minute cool-down.  I love how I can totally get in an amazing workout in such a short period of time on the trainer!  Finished up with 10 minutes of glute strengthening work.

Wednesday: super-early 6 miles in Lewis Center with Erin and Steph.  I don't get out to LC much anymore, but it was great to meet these two and get in a good solid run.  Calf felt good!  Overall pace: 8:59.

Thursday: Met Tamara and Allison S. for 4 early miles followed by a quick Starbucks date.  Kept the miles super-duper easy as planned.  Overall pace: 9:37.  After work I did 20 minutes of glute and calf  strength work.  

Friday: I was off from work today, and I considered a) hopping on the trainer before starting on a day of busy-ness, or b) fitting in a short swim at the rec center between appointments.  Ended up choosing neither and letting this be my rest day.  I celebrated with a pedicure :)

Saturday: The plan was 10-12 miles.  I haven't done more than 7 since my latest injury, but I felt 12 was reasonable.  I wanted to keep it at around a 9:15 overall pace.  Started with a big group, then we got a bit smaller, then we met up with a huge group for the monthly MRTT run for the final part.  My new coach (see below) had recommended that I do some short 30-second strides/speed bursts during my long runs, to "wake up" my legs after they got into the same pattern for miles and miles.  My chiropractor has mentioned this very thing, so I figured I'd give it a shot today.  I liked how they felt, for sure!  I had about a half-mile to go and was about .2 miles from the shelter house where the group was meeting, so I knew I'd need some parking lot loops to finish up. At that point, my left calf twinged a bit more strongly than I liked to feel. I immediately stopped and told my friend Megan (she was the only one left with me by then) that I wanted to walk for the rest.  I just didn't see the point in pushing it at all today, especially after the run had gone so well.  I am happy to report that I'm in no pain at all--calf feels perfectly fine right now.  Oh, I did try out the Hammer Endurolyte capsules today after 6 miles, when I fueled.  I have/had high hopes for these.  Unfortunately, I don't think my calf issues are due to anything metabolic, which is what I assume this capsules are for.

Sunday: Rest day for personal reasons

Other miscellaneous notes:

As I referenced above, I now have a coach!  I finally decided that I just don't know enough to figure out what I should be doing, and I'm giving the power to someone who does.  My friend Paige (I've talked about her before--she's a local elite runner who I have ran with several times) is a certified running coach, and she's agreed to write me a new plan for February and see how things go.  We met on Friday for lunch and discussed her thoughts and I am super excited to start working with her!  She sent me February's plan on Sunday evening.  The biggest change: slow the *!?% down!  Nothing faster than 9:15-9:30 for now--and slower than that is even better.  Speedwork will be added in gradually later on this month.  I already feel relieved that I am not in charge anymore... it's one area of my life that I don't have to stress about anymore!

As for me, I have felt good this week.  Other than the bit of tightness I felt at the end of my long run, my runs have gone well.  My legs were tired by Friday, but with a busy work week and the increase in miles, that's to be expected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment