Sunday, March 6, 2016

Training recap (2/29-3/6)

Week 13:

Monday--AM: Switched up my usual Monday routine and met my MIT gals at Steph's house for some "leap day loops"!  Very proud of myself for keeping the pace super relaxed--with their help, of course!  First 5 miles were all 10+ min/mile, and the last one was only a bit faster!  Overall pace: 10:01. 

PM: 20 minutes of glute strenth work plus 20 minutes of body strength work (squats, push-ups, etc.). 

Tuesday--Again, decided to skip my early-morning trainer ride.  I just turned off my alarm and rolled over for another hour.  My body is tired of the 4:30 AM starts, and while I'm motivated to get up and meet friends to run, I'm not so motivated to get up and ride on the bike right now!  I did go to my Yoga for Runners class in the evening.  Great night of hamstring stretching... what runner doesn't need that?!

Wednesday--No speed work this week.  Allison S. and I met up for 6 "easy" miles.  I put the "easy" in quotes because we sucked at keeping the pace slower than 9:15.  3 of the miles were just above 9:00/mile, and 3 were just under 9:00/mile.  Overall pace: 9:04.

Thursday--AM: Tamara, Jennie and I met in Tamara's hood for some nice "recovery" miles.  The first two went well, but then (of course) we sped up a bit.  Overall pace: 9:10.

Fun early miles with these two!

PM: Headed to the rec center for a swim.  I didn't realize that it had been a MONTH since my last swim!  I need to get in there more often.  Legs felt tired at first, but by the end I felt great.  Longer pulling set plus a sprint ladder set that was fun.  2000 yards total (short enough to give me time for a soak in the jacuzzi afterwards!).

Friday--Rest, rest, resty rest day!  Love my rest days.

Saturday--Drop back week... my friends had 12 on their plan, and I had 12-14.  So 12 just made sense!  We were supposed to do miles 10 & 11 at an 8:12-8:30 pace.  Two 6-mile loops from the rec center again.  I'm struggling more with controlling my pace on runs.  I keep speeding up :(  Splits were 9:26, 9:11, 9:13, 9:07, 9:21, 9:04, 9:16, 9:07, 8:11, 8:12, 9:02.  Blah.  I need to be more attentive to my watch, or find slower running partners who will yell at me!   I do love my girls though... today Allison L., Amy, Jess, Tamara and I had Beth join us for the first loop and Megan S. join us for both loops.  Great conversation as always!

My marathon buddies (Allison, Amy, Jess and Tamara) plus Beth, Lindsey, Megan and Mary!


Sunday--I did 20 minutes of my glute strengthening exercises (only the second time this week--boo, I need to do it three times a week!), and then rode the trainer for an hour.  So hot!  I can't wait to get outside!  I do feel my hamstrings and quads getting stronger from my rides, though.  Tried to keep it steady today (81-84 rpm).  

Other miscellaneous notes:

I'm trying to not be too hard on myself that I am not adhering to the 9:15-9:30 pace range that I'm supposed to be doing.  I talked a bit to my coach and she said that I'm getting more fit, which I sure hope is true!  I am going to keep listening to my body and trying to keep things easy when they are supposed to be.  This month is a big one for miles, and the speed work will get faster.  I feel very good right now, and I hope that I can keep things strong (physically AND mentally for the next 7 weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment