Sunday, March 20, 2016

Training recap (3/14-3/20)

Week 15:

Monday--AM: Back to Powell to run with Jess today--missed our weekly early run together!  6 miles with an overall pace of 9:11.  I loved loved loved wearing shorts and a tank today!!!

PM: My normal 45 minutes of glute/calf strengthening and "other stuff" like squats and lunges and push-ups.

Tuesday--It was the final night of my Yoga for Runners class--boo!  I really do love this class.  Marcy said that they will start another session in a month.  Meanwhile, I think I am going to have to find some good yoga videos on Youtube!  It won't be the same though.

Wednesday--AM: Super-early start to get in all 9 miles today before work.  The plan was to do tempo cut-back intervals (8 min-6-min-4min, with goal paces in the range of 7:55/7:45/7:35).  Met up with Tamara and Megan F. (so thankful for peeps who will meet me at 4:30 AM for a run!).  

The return of the selfie!  Love my new phone/camera!!!

We did 3 miles to warm-up (and get past the stupid Polaris "hill"), and then started the tempo part of the run. Paces were 7:47, 7:37, 7:29.  Loved feeling strong!  Overall pace for the run: 8:44.  Only bad part was that I had to go to the bathroom starting at around mile 2.5... not fun!  

PM: 30 minutes of glute/calf work.  After 9 early miles this morning, this was all I had in me.

Thursday--Perfect recovery run with my sweet friend Becky!  


The big pineapple that we never noticed before lol!

5.1 miles at an overall pace of 9:13.  I love it so much when we can meet up for a run.  Out-and-back on High Street (our central meeting location) with lots of much-needed catching up on life.  I had zero bathroom issues, yay!  I cut whole wheat out of my diet starting yesterday morning, as a friend thought that might be the culprit.

Friday--Another rest day that I ROCKED :)  I actually woke up today with this super-odd knee pain in my left knee.  The reason that it was super-odd is because I have had no knee pain this training cycle, and I felt nothing during my runs this week or at all on Thursday.  I kept thinking maybe I slept wrong on it???  So weird.  I tried to ice it a few times and hoped for the best.  It only hurt when I would bend my knee beyond 45 degrees,and only a level 1 or 2, so not really bad. Just weird.


Saturday--I woke up and prayed that my knee would feel okay, and it did!  I felt it a teeny bit when I was doing my pre-run dynamic stretches, but not at all during the run, thankfully!  Post run, it feels about the same-- a tad sore, maybe a 1 or 2 on pain (only when I bend it too far).  Continuing to ice and monitor the "middle-of-the-night injury".

Originally my plan called for 16-18 miles, with miles 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17 at marathon pace (8:10-8:20).  My friend Amy didn't get to do her 20 miler a couple of weeks ago when it was on my original plan (she and my other pals are still mostly following it), so she wanted to do 20 today.  I asked my coach if it was okay for me to do 20 with her, and she agreed!  This was my furthest distance in over a year, so I was super psyched.  It was chilly out (real-feel of 31), and after a week of warm temps I was not pleased to have to wear gloves and multiple layers for this run.  We had to start super-early as well, as Allison needed to be done with 18 by 8:30 AM.  No one likes to set their alarm for 4:45 AM on a Saturday morning, but we are a team and we run together!  

The run went like this... 2 miles out and back (4), pick up Megan for another 1 mile out and back (2), fuel and water and pick up Jess, 3 miles out and back (6), fuel and water, 3 more miles out and back (6), and then one final mile out and back (2).  4 + 2 + 6 + 6 + 2 = 20 (thank goodness I'm a math teacher LOL!).  

Lucky for such sweet friends!!!
Other than the goal-pace miles, I wanted to keep the miles nice and easy.  Always tricky especially once we start to run faster miles and have to slow down again!

Miles 1-6: 9:15, 9:10, 9:12, 9:10, 9:21, 9:23 
Miles 7-12: 9:20, 9:06, 8:12, 9:05, 8:11, 9:06 
Miles 13-20: 8:12, 9:07, 8:12 9:00, 8:11, 8:58, 9:09, 9:01


I felt good on this run!  Like, really good!  I didn't have the urge to go to the bathroom til around mile 16 or 17, which is a definite improvement... however, when I got home I had some real issues.  TMI (runners are good for TMI lol), I had diarrhea three times, and it wasn't pretty (there was some blood the second and third times, which scared me!).  Then my stomach started to feel gross.  I am thinking I might have caught Aaron's stomach bug (he had a short-lived one on Thursday morning).  I tried to rest and not eat much (but drank a lot of water) the rest of the day.  

Sunday--Usually Sunday is a bike and strength day, but at this point (11:41 AM when I'm typing this) I am planning on nothing at all.  I haven't eaten much at all since my run yesterday (only about 800 total calories), and my body is starving.  But my stomach says to take it easy on the food.  Ugh, the conundrum!  Hopefully I'll be back to my old self tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment