Monday, August 5, 2013

A self-imposed break

I hinted at it in my blog yesterday, and today I mentioned it on a running Facebook group where I frequently post.  As my friend said, once you post it on Facebook, you have to do it, so I guess I have no choice: I am taking a break from running.  It hurts to even type it, but I know it is the best thing to do right now.  



Reasons for the break (in order of importance):
 
1. My right inner calf and my left knee (this is a new one) both hurt this morning as I walked down the stairs.  I hate having to hobble down steps.  It has been well over 48 hours since my run.  I just don't think my muscles have been given enough time to recover from all of the running that I have been doing.  It's hard for me to say that, especially considering that I know many runners who run 4, 5 or even 6 days a week, and I "only" run 3 days a week.  However, I also know that I really do push my runs, and I am running on concrete most of the time (the least forgiving surface to run on).  
 
2. Mentally, I need a week off from running.  It really does take over my thoughts, and there is much more for me to focus on right now.  Namely, my children and my job.  We only have a couple of weeks left before the school year begins.  My son starts next Wednesday!  This should be a time for thinking about them, not about my runs.  Also, I need to start planning for next year!  I really need to get into my classroom to start setting it up as well.





To be honest, I guess I am just tired of trying so darn hard.  Every morning I wake up and I have to foam roll right away in order to get rid of the nagging soreness.  I do it at least once more, but lately it's been twice more, every day, as the soreness just returns.  I have been working on hydrating, thinking about how to fuel during my runs, what to eat before and after my runs... the list goes on and on.  And nothing has worked.  I still feel sore for up to 48 hours after a measly 3 mile run.  That shouldn't be the case.   All that is left is for me to try a break. 

Not that I am happy about it.  I have my training plan staring at me from the refrigerator (that is going to have to be taken down).  My Garmin is sitting on the countertop, waiting to be used (that is going to have to be put away).  I know that taking off a week isn't going to kill the training that I have already done for this half marathon, but it still hurts to have to say that I just can't hack it.  But after that 13 mile run on Friday night, there really isn't any other option. 


                                                                      How I feel inside...

I plan on continuing the squat and plank challenges, as I am enjoying them, and neither of them are really hurting at this point.  I may do some arm workouts as well.  We'll see.  My plan right now is if I am feeling better by Saturday morning, I will do an easy 3-4 miles and see how I feel.  If I am still sore on Saturday, then I will just take it day by day.  


I won't be blogging during this time, as I am going to try to really get things set for the start of the school year... and maybe do some much-needed cleaning around here!  So, au revoir for now, and I will update once I lace up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment