Saturday, August 10, 2013

She's ba-ack...

Did you miss me?  Huh, did ya? ;)  

A full week off from running AND blogging... whatever did I do with myself, you may ask?  A quick recap:

Monday: In the morning we went to the park and had a picnic lunch.  I took Joey to Back-to-School night after dinner (this is a time when I usually run... it was nice to do something with just Joey).

Tuesday: In the morning we went to Kingdom of Bounce.  In the evening, I took the three youngest kids to the pool while Joey had soccer practice.

Wednesday: SLEPT IN TILL 8 AM! (Typically I am up and running at 6 AM on Wednesdays) Playdate at a friend's house in the morning along with lunch.  In the evening, I went to the Another Mother Runner Party at Fleet Feet (more below about that). 

Thursday: Grocery shopping in the morning.  Hubby took Joey and a pal to the Clippers game that night... rainy most of the day so we just chilled at home, did laundry, etc.

Friday: Slept till 8 again!  A few errands with the kids in the morning.  Out with my BFF after dinner (stayed out too late gabbing, as usual!).

So, needless to say, I kept myself busy.  What else did I do?  I did the squat challenge and the plank challenge (see previous blog post) every day, taking rest days when they were scheduled.  I did a bit of strength training (arms on Wednesday, and core on Friday).  What didn't I do?  I didn't foam roll (except for once on Friday morning).  I didn't run (duh).  I didn't focus on hydration, or eating certain foods.  I just kind of chilled.  Mentally and physically.

And the results?  I am definitely feeling better physically.  I still have a bit of soreness in my calf/shin.  I just don't think that's going to go away.  It only hurts (and very little) first thing in the morning, when I go down the stairs.  After that it goes away.  Mentally, well, I missed running... a bit.  I really thought I would miss it more.  The times when I really missed it were when I got my Runner's World magazine on Tuesday (and had it read cover-to-cover by Wednesday), and after the Another Mother Runner Party.  

The party was so much fun!  I started out by going to Fleet Feet and trying out a few different pairs of shoes, as my Mizuno's have just over 250 miles on them right now and I know that I will need new shoes before my half.  I ended up buying another pair of Mizuno's... nothing else felt even close to as good on my feet!  The best part is my new pair are PINK :)  



Then I had dinner at the pizza place next store to Fleet Feet with several other moms who are on the Columbus Moms Run This Town Facebook page.  I had only met one of them previously, so it was neat to meet them in person and have a fun dinner.  Then we headed back over to Fleet Feet for the party.  It was so cool to meet Dimity and SBS, the authors of Run Like a Mother and Train Like a Mother.  They are both really down-to-earth ladies.  I got Dimity to sign my copy of Train Like a Mother.  



They had super-awesome swag bags, with a bunch of cool samples in them.  Then, they had a drawing for several prizes. Guess who won a $55 gift card to 110%?!!  Yep, me!  I already know what I am getting: a pair of compression sleeves with ICE INSERTS.  Can we say genius?!!

So... this morning I woke up at 6:15 AM and laced up my new Mizuno's.  I admit, I was tired.  I have enjoyed NOT waking up very early, and my little ones have allowed mama to sleep in a bit.  But this run needed to happen.  I planned on running 3-4 miles.  My goals: to keep my pace above 10:00 for the entire run, and to really not push myself at all.  I almost accomplished the first goal.  My last mile, I got a bit fast, but overall the run went as planned.  I did 4.16 miles in 43:39.  Mile 1 = 10:58, Mile 2 = 10:40, Mile 3 = 10:21, Mile 4 = 9:58.  I wasn't out of breath at any time during the run (so goal #2 was accomplished).  My left foot did fall asleep at around 1.75 miles.  At 2.5 miles I stopped and stretched for a minute, hoping it would "wake up".  It did... for about three-tenths of a mile.  At that point I just ignored it for the remainder of the run.  For some reason, when I am trying to run slow, my left foot falls asleep.  My right foot falls asleep if I forget to keep my toes loose by wiggling them while I run (not the entire time--every minute or so).  

The big question now is, what's next?  Do I pick up with the TLAM: Own It training program?  Do I revisit the entire plan?  I am not sure... going to think about it tonight and tomorrow.  I am supposed to run on Tuesday night while Joey has soccer with a friend who is a bit slower than my easy pace, and I do want to do that "social run".  I need running to be fun, and not all about pace.  I think that was the biggest problem mentally for me... I would get so hyped up for the pace I needed to hit for each run, that it wouldn't be fun for me.  I have the quarter marathon in two weeks.  I miss doing track work for speed, so I may try to integrate that in a couple of times over the next two weeks.  It can only help with a race like the quarter. 

More tomorrow... I definitely missed blogging, by the way :)


No comments:

Post a Comment