Sunday, August 18, 2013

Still the reigning queen of negative splits!

I was really looking forward to today's run, for several reasons.
  • It was with Danielle, and I enjoy chatting with her when we run.
  • It was "only" 8 miles--long enough to feel like a long run, but short enough to not take more than 1.5 hours and not hurt (as bad).
  • It had a relatively easy caveat: 4 miles easy, 4 miles negative split.  As you all know by now, I love me some negative splits.  My plan was to negative split down to my half-marathon goal pace (around 8:55/mile).

Danielle and I met halfway between our houses, at a freestanding ER that is smack-dab in the middle of a great bike/running path that goes around my wonderful little town.  I mapped out our course the night before, making sure it would be a relatively easy run (no big hills!) as well as scenic.  It ended up being a "tour de parks and schools of Westerville", as we ran by several of each during the 8 miles.

The run went absolutely perfectly.  I wanted to stay at around 10 minutes per mile for the first four miles.  That's easier said than done, especially as muscles begin to loosen up and running just feels easier.  We both fueled (me = GU gel, Danielle = GU Chomps) at mile 4.  Our conversation petered out a bit at around 6.5 miles, as we both started to get a bit winded from the talking + running combination we'd been doing for almost an hour, and our pace had decreased by then to a pretty quick clip.  I was feeling exceptionally good for the final mile, and kept telling Danielle how little we had left (her Garmin died right before our run started).

So here is how things ended up going...


 

Again, I couldn't have scripted things more perfectly.  We both agreed that after walking for a couple of minutes, we had more in us, and could have easily ran another 5-6 miles, which is exactly how I want to feel after a long run.  Even better, the run took us about 1 hr 15 min.  Another 5 miles at 9 minutes per mile would be 45 minutes... which is 2 hours... which is awesome.  I am really feeling like I am on track for a sub-2 hour half!  I think next week's quarter marathon will really give me a good idea at where I am at as well.


This week is going to be very busy. I go back to work tomorrow... ugh.  I am worried about fitting everything in once things start up again.  I am always so busy at night with my kids' activities, and then I will have lesson plans and grading to do... double ugh.  How am I ever going to fit in cross-training and running??!!  Trying not to stress about it until it really does become stressful. 

This week's training plans:

Monday: rest
Tuesday: cross-train (arms)
Wednesday: 4 miles (easy with strides at the end)
Thursday: rest
Friday: cross-train
Saturday; rest
Sunday: quarter marathon race

So, it is a VERY easy week, training-wise, which is exactly what I need, as I know I will be exhausted from work each night.  I will continue with my two August challenges, as well... speaking of which, I need to go get them done right now! 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an awesome run! I would love to try the gu chews. I cannot handle the consistancy of the gu, at all!

    ReplyDelete