Sunday, July 21, 2013

"Only" 70 push-ups...

Today was my final "test" for the 100 Push-ups Challenge that I started last month.  I have been doing the workouts for the past 5 weeks or so.  I blogged about this on Thursday.  My minimum goal for the final test was 70, and that is exactly how many I did.  I was halfway through #71 but collapsed in exhaustion, so I am not counting that one.  I am still proud of myself, because I imagine very few people can do 70 consecutive good-form push-ups.  It's 10 more than I did for the last test set, and it's 49 more than I did for the initial test set in mid-June!  The app has me starting again at week 5, day 1, since I didn't get to 100.  I haven't decided yet if I am going to continue with it, though.  I do like how strong my arms feel, but I get bored quickly with things, and I am bored with this one.  That being said, I want to get to 100!  So, we'll see.

I know I said I would be blogging about my journey in finding the best shoes for me, but I am honestly very tired... I took a two-hour nap today, but still feel exhausted. I also started my period last night, so that may be part of it, although it doesn't usually affect me to this extent.  Anyway, a quick overview of this week's training plan, and then I am hitting the sack.

Monday: 4 mile run with 1 mile warm-up, 2 miles at tempo pace, 1 mile cool-down (plan on doing this tomorrow night, unless we have thunderstorms, in which case I will hit the treadmill at the gym)

Tuesday: cross-training (plan on doing this at home during naptime, focusing on arms and core)

Wednesday: 5 mile run with the final 2 miles faster than the first 3 (plan on doing this first thing in the morning, at around 6 AM)

Thursday: rest day


This is where it gets a bit dicey, as I am just not sure what I want to do about Sunday's 5K race.  I am thinking that I just do NOT want to run another 5K right now.  They are too short and too fast, and I just ran one a couple of weeks ago--and I think it is why my calf/shin is bugging me so much.  If I do run in the race, I may do my 10-mile long run early on Friday morning (like at 5:30 AM).  That way I can rest on Saturday and race on Sunday.  If I don't run in the race, Friday will be cross-training (again at home, as I have plans on Friday night so I can't hit the gym), and Saturday will be the 10 mile long run, with a rest day on Sunday. It is so funny to me that I'd rather do a 10 mile long run than a 5K race!  Never thought I'd say that.


I'll update as the week goes on.  Right now, my left calf/shin is feeling pretty good.  My right, not so much.  Been icing it all day, and foam rolled twice.  Ice isn't helping like it has, unfortunately.  I did take ibuprofen (not just for my leg--TMI, I had wicked cramps earlier), and that also helped a bit.  Hoping that tomorrow brings a more refreshed Marcie and a more cooperative leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment