Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Weather Watchers' Anonymous

I have been looking at the forecast for July 4 for a couple of weeks now, and obsessively checking it for the past 3-4 days.  It's gone from bad, to okay, to even worse.  The "chance of thunderstorms" (bad), turned into a "possible chance of rain" (okay), which today was updated to ALL DAY LONG RAIN (even worse).  Ugh, ugh, ugh.  Showers are going to be pretty much a given during my 5K tomorrow morning.  Originally I had planned to walk to the race start as it's exactly 2 miles from my house (well, walk the first  mile, jog the second) as a warm-up. That will definitely not be happening if it's raining; I will drive over and park and try my best to warm-up there.  Or maybe I will warm-up in my house before I drive over!  

Anyway, I am trying to prepare myself mentally for this.  I have ran in the rain a couple of times, but not in the past few months.  It's not super-fun, but I can handle it.  However, my goal of a 2+-minute PR may be tabled until my next 5K on July 28th.  Don't get me wrong, I am still going to go after this race, and I know for a fact I will PR, but I am not sure I will be able to go as fast as I hope to.  Putting my goals out there... originally I was thinking of sub-26:00 for goal 1, sub-25:30 for goal 2, and sub-25:00 for goal 3.  (Goal 1 = happy with the time, goal 2 = VERY happy with the time, goal 3 = ECSTATIC with the time).  I am thinking I may have to alter those goals, though.  Anything under 25:30 will make me ecstatic at this point, if I am running in the pouring down rain!  For the record, my best 5K was last November at the Hot Chocolate 5K (28:05).  It was also my first and only ever 5K!  I went a 26:20 in a training run on May 19 (wasn't planning on that fast of a time, but I felt super that morning and just went for it).  So I am fairly sure I can beat that time...

I am not going to do the planned push-up challenge today either... taking a break for today.  I feel tired. I was out way too late last night with my best friend, just catching up on things.  I still got about 7.5 hours of sleep, thanks to the twins sleeping in, but my limbs feel leaden today.  I am going to take the kids to the pool for a couple of hours, and do a nice carbo-loading dinner (pasta and bread) before I turn in early tonight.  


I have my race outfit all laid out, but I need to lay out a secondary outfit now, as it's definitely not to be the temperatures I expected (the predicted high temp is 70 at 8 AM, but no sun to make me feel hot = probably wearing capris instead of shorts!).  I will post pictures of both, as well as a full race recap, tomorrow.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment